Monday, July 1, 2013

Books, Bikes and Bunny Ears

I met a little boy today whose name is Hunter. Hunter is this many (I know you can't see me, but I'm holding up the contents of one hand.) Thick-cheeked, round-bellied, a gap where his bottom front teeth should be, Hunter has an immediate and urgent goal. To learn to tie his shoes.

"No Velcro anymore," he explained. Naturally, no self-respecting kindergartner would be caught dead with them. I'm told that just last week he mastered the two-wheeler, sans the training wheels. This kid was no slacker.

I watched as he sat in our reception area, heel resting on the lip of the chair, chin bobbing right and left of his scraped knee, tongue peeking out of his mouth indicating complete concentration. Hunter's mom tossed a carefully placed word of encouragement at him now and again, reminding him about bunny ears and patience.

I read his frustration. And I can relate. When we want to know how to do something, we don't give a hoot about any damn bunnies. We just want to fast forward to that awesome moment. The one where we get it! That moment when we finally know.

But, I've learned that in life the learning is just as important. Just as special a time. It's the precipice between milestones that turn little boys into young men. That gives youth a proper segue into adulthood. And the lessons we glean in those in-betweens are the stuff that often goes unnoticed. Chances are Hunter won't remember the day he learned to secure those laces. He'll only realize that he knows. That's how it goes. It's part of the human condition. One accomplishment to the next, we forget the steps in the middle.

Thirty minutes after he arrived, Hunter and his mother left. He hadn't quite gotten the hang of tying those shoes, but he was close. It ought to be any day now. Another goal met. The magic in the Velcro moments gone forever.

I'm all about the learning, too. My bunny ears are back. After having been an associate agent and then an ex-associate, I am now interning with a new literary agency - Booker Albert Literary. See here: http://www.thebookeralbertagency.com/agents.html I imagine it's a lot like riding a bike. And hopefully I'll be popping wheelies real soon.

I'm so happy to be a part of this wonderful agency. Bunnies, look out below!



No comments:

Post a Comment