Friday, June 24, 2011

Write, Camera, Action

It's a special thing when books turn into movies. As a reader I'm filled with two parts anticipation, one part dread. After all, they don't always make the transition seamlessly. (If only) Sometimes it isn't possible to relay the beauty in the perfect turn of phrase - case in point "The Soloist." Loved the book - the movie, not so much. Of course the flip side of that coin is dear ole Harry Potter. Seems he's right at home no matter where he hangs his hat. I just finished reading "The Help." For me it was one of those can't-wait-to-get-at-it novels. Made me annoyed when I had to tend to life's pesky little details like going to work, earning a living. I wanted to just keep reading. It's set to open in August. And I have my fingers crossed.

On the writer end, it makes me wonder how it feels to have your brainchild meet cinematic reality. With my book only a few short months from  birth, I can't help visiting that fantasy. How cool would that be? A call from the agent. We've had an offer from a big shot movie producer. Or a small shot movie producer. Hell, I'm not picky.
(sigh) We writers do enjoy our delusions.

So what's your favorite book to film? Which one, in your opinion, made the most successful crossover from page to screen?
My dad swears it's "The Godfather." My best friend will bet her bottom dollar it's "The Lord of the Rings trilogy."  Care to weigh in??

1 comment:

  1. I'm in the middle of reading 'Anne of Green Gables' for the first time. I have always loved the movie (long version) and have probably watched it a hundred times. So far the movie has followed the book pretty darn close. Word for word in most places! It's amazing! Hopefully it will stay that way.

    ReplyDelete