Saturday, January 8, 2011

Januweary

Far be it for me to be the one to rain on any parades. A good lot of folks are still reveling. Happy New Years are still flying around the phrase circles in places like the grocery store and the dry cleaners. It seems some people are reluctant to let go of the holidays as they were, and the neighborly spirit as it comes around this time. I wish to respectfully suggest:
Drop that celebration and step away from the cheer.
Christmas is said and done and we've made it safely from one month to the next. Some hail it as a minor miracle. Some carry on as if there were a chance this may NOT have taken place.
And yet, odd as it might be, every 365 days another year presents itself. Presto.
So? Okay I DO get it.
It's a chance to start over - a proverbial clean slate. If 2010 were particularly troubling; if nothing went the way you'd hoped, dreamed or planned for - then perhaps the changing of the Calender Guard was in order. Maybe a sense of hope lay hidden among the last of October's leaves buried helplessly beneath the latest helping of snow.
Be that as it may, I, for one, am Janu-weary.
I suppose I'm a slow starter. Still need to shake off the trappings of the season. Once I catch my breath and recover there's no telling what enthusiastic sentiment awaits.
Until then, I remain true - a wee bit worn, slightly shell-shocked, and ever the eternal optimist that after a few dozen really good naps I'll be good as new. But, for now, the sign dangles from the door handle:
Do Not Disturb

No comments:

Post a Comment