Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Story of a Boy

One day, 18 years or so ago, a little boy wandered into my life via my womb. He proceeded to charm me and frustrate me like only a boy can do. All running, climbing, going, doing, moving. All boy. All the time. I watched him grow, the way boys do - into and out of their clothes and limbs (with far less grace than his sister but with far less drama, I might add.)
One day, just 24 hours ago, he wandered off to college. There he'll surely charm and frustrate his professors like only a young man can do.
What's that they say about things that happen in the blink of an eye? I'll tell you what happens...your tiny babies tower over you. They go, and do, and move in the exact opposite direction of you. It's how it's meant to be. In this tale which is the same as so many others written by parents whose kids aren't really kids anymore.
Let's face it. Mothers grow people.
And so it goes - in this story of a little boy.

1 comment: