Thursday, October 15, 2009

What William Knew

It was a special kind of torture, having to read Shakespeare in high school. All I could think back then was, “What the hell is this guy trying to say?” and oh yeah, “What does he know anyway?”
Fast forward twenty-something years. Still don’t read much Shakespeare, I’m afraid. Only now I’ve managed to figure out a thing or two about his many quotes. And you know what? They actually make sense. I wonder if I had to grow up some in order for the words to have meaning. Maybe I had to get divorced to appreciate, “The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.” Maybe I had to have two kids to get, “How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child!" (Note – my children have since found their manners.) And who in their right mind can’t relate to, “The course of true love never did run smooth.”
Perhaps I had to become an author-in-waiting to understand, “Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.”
I’m attempting to write, pushing doubt and fear aside to promote my novel, and wrangling hope that one day I’ll see it in print. It may be a crazy, long shot but, after all, “Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't."

1 comment:

  1. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete